Programming a.out vs a.elf

MSP430 - Discuss mailing list
Hi,

I'm working with msp430-gcc and I can program a.out using mspdebug fine
into my target.

Is there a benefit in generating and programming a.elf to the target?

Cheers,
μrt

Re: Programming a.out vs a.elf

On 05/22/2017 12:10 AM, μrt [hidden email] [msp430] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working with msp430-gcc and I can program a.out using mspdebug fine
> into my target.
>
> Is there a benefit in generating and programming a.elf to the target?

You seem to be confusing the default file name with the file format. The
file is in elf format and you can name it anything you like.

--
David W. Schultz
"Life without stock is barely worth living..." - Anthony Bourdain

Re: Programming a.out vs a.elf

MSP430 - Discuss mailing list
Sorry I was not clear. I'm referring to the format rather than the filename.

I am able to program *.out and *.elf with mspdebug

What is the difference?

I believe that *.elf can be stripped (symbols) for production runs.

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM, 'David W. Schultz'
[hidden email] [msp430] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/22/2017 12:10 AM, μrt [hidden email] [msp430] wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm working with msp430-gcc and I can program a.out using mspdebug fine
> > into my target.
> >
> > Is there a benefit in generating and programming a.elf to the target?
> >

> You seem to be confusing the default file name with the file format. The
> file is in elf format and you can name it anything you like.
>
> --
> David W. Schultz
> http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz
> "Life without stock is barely worth living..." - Anthony Bourdain

Cheers,
μrt

Re: Programming a.out vs a.elf

On 05/22/2017 07:42 PM, μrt [hidden email] [msp430] wrote:

> Sorry I was not clear. I'm referring to the format rather than the filename.
>
> I am able to program *.out and *.elf with mspdebug
>
> What is the difference?
>
> I believe that *.elf can be stripped (symbols) for production runs.
>
> Anything else I'm missing?

How are your getting a.out format from gcc?

msp430-elf-ld: supported targets: elf32-msp430 elf32-msp430 elf32-little
elf32-big plugin srec symbolsrec verilog tekhex binary ihex

--
David W. Schultz
"Life without stock is barely worth living..." - Anthony Bourdain

Re: Programming a.out vs a.elf

MSP430 - Discuss mailing list
Pardon, my ignorance. The default output file generated by gcc is named
a.out but it is elf format :-)