MSP430 active / low-power modes ratio

MSP430 - Discuss mailing list
Hi,
 I need to determine the ratio between the time spent in active mode and the time spent in low-power mode for an application running on an MSP430 MCU.

 Regards,
 Fahmi

RE: MSP430 active / low-power modes ratio

MSP430 - Discuss mailing list
Fahmi,

"Count your cycles" is all the advice we can give until you supply more details.

Emmett Redd Ph.D.   mailto:[hidden email]
Professor                                 (417)836-5221
Department of Physics, Astronomy, and Materials Science
Missouri State University             Fax (417)836-6226
901 SOUTH NATIONAL                   Lab (417)836-3770
SPRINGFIELD, MO  65897   USA    Dept (417)836-5131

In statesmanship get the formalities right, never mind about the moralities. -- Mark Twain.
I need to determine the ratio between the time spent in active mode and the time spent in low-power mode for an application running on an MSP430 MCU.

Regards,

Fahmi

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

RE: MSP430 active / low-power modes ratio

MSP430 - Discuss mailing list
You could turn a led on at the beginning of the active cycle and off at the
end. Check with a CRO and see the ratio.

Peter

I need to determine the ratio between the time spent in active mode and the
time spent in low-power mode for an application running on an MSP430 MCU.

Regards,

Fahmi

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Re: MSP430 active / low-power modes ratio

MSP430 - Discuss mailing list
cYCLE COUNTING WILL USUALLY ONLY FILL PART OF THE JOB, ESPECIALLY IF
YOUR WAKE EVENTS ARE ASYNCHRONOUS. One fairly simple method is to
measure the sleep current, measure the active current, then use a logger
to measure the mean current. Again this only works if there are only 2
different current levels. Most systems have many different levels of
active current, and even sleep current, for example a PWM'd LED will
sometimes be 'on' in sleep mode, and sometimes off. If all you care
about is the mean current draw then knowing the duty cycle is
unnecessary anyway, just measure the mean current using a decent logging
DMM. If you don't have access to that level of prcision then a standard
DMM is so slow to display updates that you often just see the mean, or
can extract it by looking at the display and at least get a rough idea.

You could still cycle count, measure all your different currents in the
various modes and then determine some mean number of accesses to each of
these. It's a very complex issue to accurately determine all the duty
cycles in a real world syste, and thus to figure out current consumption
and battery life.

Al

On 30/06/2015 11:06 AM, 'Peter Grey' [hidden email] [msp430] wrote:

> You could turn a led on at the beginning of the active cycle and off at the
> end. Check with a CRO and see the ratio.
>
> Peter

Please see if you can use the energy trace technology from TI? Hardeware and software are there to help to measure energy. Regards, Horst