Quantcast

Code coverage analysis

Stuart_Rubin
Does anyone know of a good "code coverage" analysis tool for MSP430?
The one built-in to IAR is not sufficient since it can only work in a
simulated environment.  Our application interacts with a radio, lots
of timers, etc., and it will be impossible to simulate everything.
Plus, we'd like to get coverage in "real" usage environment and
working with our test cases.

We spend a lot of time in our test plans explaining how code coverage
is achieved, but direct evidence would be a whole lot easier and
potentially more accurate.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Stuart

RE: Code coverage analysis

Paul Curtis
Stuart,

> Does anyone know of a good "code coverage" analysis tool for MSP430?
> The one built-in to IAR is not sufficient since it can only work in a
> simulated environment.  Our application interacts with a radio, lots
> of timers, etc., and it will be impossible to simulate everything.
> Plus, we'd like to get coverage in "real" usage environment and
> working with our test cases.
>
> We spend a lot of time in our test plans explaining how code coverage
> is achieved, but direct evidence would be a whole lot easier and
> potentially more accurate.

I have never tried it but this is what you might consider:

http://www.hitex.com/pdf/b3-dprobe430.pdf

--
Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd   http://www.rowley.co.uk
CrossWorks for ARM, MSP430, AVR, MAXQ, and now Cortex-M3 processors

Re: Code coverage analysis

Stuart_Rubin
It looks like a lot of "stuff" to connect to do the analysis.  I'm
really happy with the sleek USBP (we use SoftBaugh, but the TI is
about the same), which only requires a small header on the board.  Our
chips are wire-bonded to very small PCBs, so I don't think the
in-circuit emulator would be practical.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Stuart